All because two people fell in love...

All because two people fell in love...

Saturday, January 22, 2011

One Flaming Hot Dog

Sounds like something yummy you get at the fair, not in my backyard.
So.... Friday night, Austin and I wanted to grill some chicken that had been marinating in the fridge. He had just bought two new bags of charcoal and it said no lighter fluid needed and we figured it would light easily. Welp, it didn't. We worked on lighting that stupid stuff for at least 30 minutes. Austin went inside to look for lighter fluid and came back outside with paper towels instead. He said we didn't have any lighter fluid... just WD 40 and he didn't want to use that for fear of what it would do to our food. We twisted the paper towels and started a little fire, but the charcoal still wouldn't light at all!!! I suggested he get some gas, since I figured we would have some for the lawn mower. He came back with some in a paper bowl. (The next few moments FLEW by and I just stood in shock) All of a sudden, he poured, the bowl caught on fire, Austin threw the bowl and the grass caught fire, at that same time, some of the gas had dripped on Mia and she was running around the backyard with her butt on fire.... I went for the hose thinking that was smart, but of course it wasn't hooked up and had a cover on the nozzle since it had been cold. (Back to standing in shock) Austin is diving all over the yard and yelling at Mia to stop running. He finally catches her on the porch and puts out her butt fire with his hands.... He handed her to me and all I could do was hold her and never let her go! I was so scared to see what damage the fire had done to our precious puppy.
Her burned fur
Her only little burn on the back of her leg
After a few short moments of getting over the initial shock, we took her inside to the tub. As he was washing stuff out of her fur, Austin smells it and I was like... hmm that was wierd.... then he said I scared the poop out of her... I told him well duh, what would you do if your butt was on fire... and he said no, seriously, I think I scared the poop out of her!!! But in all honesty, I think the burned poop saved her fur from burning! The other thing that saved her life, her sweater. I had just put it on her because it was chilly outside, and thank goodness I did!
The damage to her sweater

Her scrapes on her tummy from the concrete when Austin caught her

After we got her bathed, we checked out the damage, and thank goodness we didn't find any. That would have been so much worse trying to contact a vet and all that mess if she was seriously injured! She was actually back to her normal self about 20 minutes after the disaster. I was still a wreck! I was so scared for her. I told Austin it was because she couldn't tell me if anything was hurting....

Wow, it was just a crazy night, and I hope I never, EVER have to do that again.....

1 comment:

Mary Beth and Travis said...

POOR MIA!!!! I'm so glad she's ok- that's scary!!